Friday, February 20, 2015

My White Converse

mornings when i wake up
i'm surrounded by shadows the colors of outer space.
the sky's midnight blue 
and it's begging me to go back to bed.
but i carry on.
and later the amber reflections of the sun almost blind me.
just a typical day except the grass seems a bit more beige than emerald.
at school i notice shoes...
there goes the girl that wears pink flower printed flip-flops in winter.
those Jesus sandals everywhere.
the pimp who's so old school he rocks a new fresh pair of Jordan's everyday.
neon nikes. and navy vans.
and the rare chick that can rock wearing heels to school. S/o to Maddi Dean.
Then the girl who wears strappy sandals decked in gem stones
to stand out even just a little.
and the boy wearing black sneakers
trying his hardest to be unnoticed. 
then i look down at my own shoes 
trying to figure out the statements i make.
Then i realize my converse are too white, they look too new
cuz it looks weird to have blindingly bright shoes.
so i try to scruff  'em up a bit 
but now they look too wrecked too soon.
i'm gonna buy new ones.

i never bought new converse so now mine are really trashed.
but every green grass stain reminds me of football games
and every grey stratch reminds me of all 
the shoes that stomped on me at parties.
and all the black marks remind me of late night street adventures.
now i'm really not buying new chucks
cuz mine are stained with memories of friends and fun
and a reminder to when times seemed like death
but were really just breezy.
forget yearbooks cuz my converse are high school wrapped up in one object,
represents good ol' trends and good times.
times when i'd loose myself and find myself in paris.
times when i learned riemann sums and how to kiss boys.
times when i'd forget to be home by midnight 
but remembered everyone who made a difference.
times when i felt too brown to hang with the white kids 
and too white to hang with the brown kids. 
this poem was supposed to be just about colors.
but it turned out to be about high school and white chuck taylors
and about the times when on typical days,
i thought the grass seemed more beige than emerald. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, really powerful. Your words are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, yes. Write about colors, but write about everything.

    Too brown for the white kids and too white for the brown kids. #real

    I just got back from Vegas and I spent way too long in the Converse outlet store. There's something about those old school Chuck Taylors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this and those last few lines were really strong. And I loved the marks on your white converse representations and what it means to you.

    ReplyDelete